Oldtimehockeyarcade – As a sports bettor, it is important to eliminate as many of the common sports betting mistakes as possible. Even the best and most experienced bettors can make some mistakes or have single event surprises. If you are just starting out in the world of sports betting, or if you are looking to improve your skills, here is a review of the 10 most common mistakes in sports betting.
The 10 Common Sports Betting Mistakes:
- Betting too often on your favorite team. This is one of the most common mistakes gamblers make and it certainly is the most common reason professional bettors lose money. Your bias will force you to make picks you know in your heart are not the best picks. Even worse, you may continue to bet for and against your favorite team even when it is clear you are losing money. The key to starting to win money betting on sports is learning to bet objectively.
- Betting subjectively. This is a common mistake gamblers make as they try to prove their point of superior knowledge or understanding of the game. The easiest way to prove you are unable to bet objectively is to bet against your favorite team when you think they may lose. However, most people simply cannot do this, as they feel they are betting objectively. The easiest way to make sure you are not betting subjectively is to bet for and against your favorite team when you think they may lose. Again, most people cannot do this as they feel they are betting subjectively.
- Betting on too many games. Most bettors like to bet on a lot of games. The problem with doing this is you are most likely handicapping the wrong games. Oddsmakers are busy putting out lines for teams to lose, which means more money will go out rather than going out with the strongest betting line. Start with covering only three or four games every season and do it over the long haul.
- Betting based on your feelings. The biggest mistake bettors make is they are afraid to bet against their favorite team, or they are placing their bets despite there being no proven evidence. Your bias will force you to bet subjectively and you will not be driven to bet with your brain, but rather your emotion.
- Being impatience. This could also be a major problem with players who seem to be very impatient. The remipoker is a long-term game, and professionals think long-term as well. If you are looking to make money betting on sports, you will need to be patient.
- Betting on too many games. Every advent sports bettor seems to bet every day. The problem is that they are betting too often on meaningless games, games that often mean very little, or games where the outcome is completely random. Only bet on the games you have the best knowledge of and know the most about.
- Being a bandwagon jumper. Jeter’s big bat nights and Bonds’ Memorial Day slumping are examples of when bandwagon jumpers lose money. When a popular team loses, money is targeted immediately on the most popular teams. But that focus on the most popular teams 91% of the time means money is also lost on the least popular team, the ones you do not hear about as much.
- Not harnessing bankroll management. The experts that make money bet on many, if not all, sports and they all have very different approaches. Some will always bet the same amount every single day, no matter what. Others will only bet with certain criteria, no matter what.
The 8 common sports betting mistakes outlined in this article are mostly attitudes, not strategies, and I will delve deeper into this in future articles, because money is at the root of everything. Here are the 8 mistakes, learn from them and my guess is that you at least agree they are mistakes.
- Betting too little money on too many games. This could mean betting games you are not fully prepared for, or games where you do not have a strong opinion.
- Do not bet with money you cannot afford to lose.
- Only bet under the influence of drinking.
- Don’t bet when you are upset or depressed.
- Go to the extent of your bankroll to bet safely.
- Know your betting options and seek advice from those you trust and have the most experience with betting.
- Bluff only when a substantial edge is expected.
- Injuries, even the most unlikely, have a way of skewering even the most fancied teams.
- Don’t chase your money. Set a limit and stick to it.
- Bet only on games in which you have a known advantage.